Candace is the newest member of our team! Not only is she bringing her amazing doula skills to our team BUT she is also going to be bringing her AWESOME photography skills too! We are so excited to announce our new BIRTH PHOTOGRAPHY add-on to our doula services. Stay tuned for more information on this! But for the meantime lets get to know Candace <3
Tell me about yourself:
I’m a full time mom, but I like to include my family in as many of areas of my life – being anywhere outside, road trips, travelling anywhere in the world, photography, surfing. I also enjoy a glass of red wine and a good board game.
What is your favourite meal?
Real, authentic, northern Chinese food. Or Thai food. Or some real street tacos.
What is your spirit animal and why?
I have no idea. I’ve always been drawn to lions – strength and courage, loyalty and protection.
If you had a million dollars how would you spend it?
Pay off student loans, put money away for kids, design my dream home, travel to a new country every year. Secretly deposit money into peoples bank accounts who need it.
What are you watching on Netflix right now?
At this exact moment, Jane the virgin. When I’m editing- how i met your mother. Stranger things & Australian Instant Hotel
What as the last book you read?
Rising strong by Brene Brown
If you could have dinner with anyone dead or alive who would it be and why?
My great Grandma – people say we are a lot alike but I only had met her when i was a young toddler
What would you do if you knew you could not fail ?
Write a book
What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
My camera – being able to capture real and raw moments, brokenness, smiles, joy, laughter, tears – everything.
What makes you felt most empowered?
Being with people who believe in me and what I do. Looking back on hardships I’ve been through and how strong they made me.
How did you know you wanted to be a doula?
– oh man – I just KNEW. After the first birth I was part of, I was hooked. The intensity, the love, the teamwork, the strength, just, ALL OF IT. After I had my first baby, the support I had was the driving force that held me up when I felt like giving up, and i wanted others to have the same.
What is the most rewarding part about your job?
When the first cry is heard! The post birth talk – “wow, I didn’t think I’d get through , but look, I DID IT”
What is the hardest part of your job?
Being on call with kids is hard! When I’m on call, my kids are on call, my husband is on call, my mom (the babysitter) is on call.
How do you wind down after attending a birth?
A bath, cuddling my own kids, and sleep.
What is crucial for every woman to understand about her birthing experience?
You have options options options. Have a support team that doesn’t have hidden agendas or a biased opinion on birth – a team that supports you and your birth plan. Your body was created for birth – from conception, to nourishing and growing a baby in utero, to labour – every part of the journey is meant to happen and your body was made for it.
Let me introduce you to Edolbina. She is the sweetest, seriously guys, the sweetest! Her spirit is gentle and caring, she loves people and has a fierce passion for birth. Rightly so that she would choose midwifery for her career and mission. She enjoys watching her little boy explore the world, loves supporting her husband through life and will be there first one there if someone needs help. Plus she has a love for iced coffee as much as I do!
This weekend was a day that we could surprise and pamper her! Edolbina is expecting her second sweet little babe and we couldn’t be more excited.
If you aren’t sure what a Mother Blessing (Blessing Way) is then come take a look into our lovely gathering of women.
Basically, it’s a way to honor, encourage and love on a women at her time prior to giving her. It’s showing her that she has a strong village of support from the women around her. Spending time reading beautiful words to her, pampering her with relaxing foot baths, painting affirmation flags for her birth space and so much more! Oh and of course, delicious food!
Rather than the usual focus on materialistic items (baby gifts) and games about the baby, this is a time to spend in connection to prepare for birth. Positive stories are spoken and lots of love given!
We are wishing you all the best in your beautiful birth Edolbina.
You are a rockstar!
Also, want to give a shout-out to Lydja with Hourglass Birth Photography for using her talents to capture this event!
Fraser Valley’s Premier Doula Agency providing everything you need for your BEST birth and postpartum!
May 5, 2015 by Heidi
So you are pregnant…perhaps you are feeling a bit run down, tired of sitting at your desk or on your couch binge watching Netflix, and just needing to do something good for yourself. Well boredom be gone! Here are 20 things to refresh your mind, body, and spirit right here in the Fraser Valley that are doula and preggo-mom approved!
1. Walking is so good for you and your baby so take a stroll down the Vedder River Rotary Trail. This Chilliwack favourite is a flat, dog and stroller friendly trail that runs for 8km along the Vedder River. But have no fear, there are picnic tables, benches, portable toilets, and 5 different access points/parking lots along the way so it’s easy to just do a short section and return, or go for as far as you can and call someone to pick you up at the next stop!2. Need some veggies or a hand made gift? Check out the Eco Market at Sardis Park! Every Wednesday evening from May to October, you can experience live music, yummy food, fresh produce and local artist sharing their crafts!
3. A La Leche League meeting is a great way to prepare for your baby and to meet other mom’s who have been where you are now! Questions are welcomed and you can know you are getting the best breastfeeding support from the lactation experts and experienced moms.
4. Rainy Day? Need to float? Head to the Chilliwack or Mission Leisure Centres for a dip. Swimming is an amazing way to stretch and gently work your muscles while taking the pressure off your back and feet!
7. Need a perfect fitting nursing bra? Want to pick up some lovely things for baby or postpartum momma care? Head to With Child Birth and Baby Boutique and Nicole will set you up with all the goodies you need!
8. Don’t forget about prenatal fitness! Stay healthy and enjoy some time stretching and moving your body at Nurture You Prenatal Fitness Classes at The Goddess Movement in Abbotsford.
9. Capture this precious time as your body grows and changes with a beautiful maternity photo shoot with Roxanna J Photography.
10. Looking for some baby swag?? Head to the Baby and Tot Show this October at the Tradex!
13. Have a Blessingway lovingly orchestrated by Miranda from Elderberry Birth. Gather the women in your life to soak in their wisdom and blessings for your journey into motherhood whether it’s you first or fifth baby.
14. Let the pampering begin! Head to Gentebella Salon and Spa for a prenatal massage, and while you are there you might as well throw in a mani/pedi or facial!
15. Reconnect with your partner with a Babymoon at the Harrison Hot Springs Hotel. Walk the beach, enjoy the natural hot springs pool, and indulge in a delicious meal. Take this time to relax and dream about your birth and your growing family.
16. Don’t have time for a weekend getaway? Enjoy a coffee and dessert date at Decades! Choose an intimate table and comfy chairs and let the conversation flow!
17. Take an afternoon and go antiquing in Fort Langley. Find that vintage high chair you’ve always wanted, or a new treasure in one of the many local shops!
18. Take a picnic to Heritage Park in Mission. Bring a kite for the kids (or yourself!) and take some cute selfies in the gazebo or on the bridge.
19. Take advantage of the nice weather and go to the Twilight Drive-In Theatre in Aldergrove! Bring some lawn chairs or cuddle up in the car. The drive-in is always a fun night, and the kids love it too!
20. Have a date with your Doula!! Get ready for your birth and ask all those burning questions in the comfort of your home. It’s never too early to learn how to use your breathing and birth ball for a joyful birth! <3
-Amanda & Jaclyn
Birth Doula’s in the Fraser Valley.